Saturday, November 16, 2013

1920's Southern Soirée

Hello readers and fellow bloggers!

I thought I'd start my blog off with a post about my fraternity's 1920's southern soirée semi-formal. For those of you who don't know what a fraternity is, here is a quick explanation. Usually, fraternities are exclusive to guys (while girls join sororities), but my fraternity is an co-ed honors fraternity, so it's open to anyone.

Anyway, back to my semi-formal. Semi-formals are generally less dressy than formal. Girls usually pick short, party dresses compared to long dresses or gowns, while guys wear collared shirts and jackets instead of suits or tuxes.

Here's a picture of me in my dress.

While the dress is beautifully beaded and fit the theme extremely well, there's something else that makes it so great. It was only $10. Yes, you heard right. I found this lovely dress this summer at my local Salvation Army for only $10. When I first saw it, I had no idea where I would wear it, but couldn't pass up such a deal. While the slit in the back had been ripped, I knew it would be easy to sew. As soon as I heard what the theme for semi-formal was, I knew exactly what I would be wearing.

I also had the perfect pair of Calvin Klein shoes that my grandma had given me a year or so ago. The black velvet, low, chunky heel, ankle strap, and rounded toe give the perfect 1920's feel.


Of course I had to add a head piece. I had originally bought a black sequined headband with a white feather attached, but realized there wasn't white in the beading until my mom sent it to me in the mail. (I'm currently at school and hadn't brought the dress with me.) But I still think this jeweled black headband worked quite well.

My friend curled my hair, I added a black smokey eye, put in some fake pearl stud earrings, and I was ready to go. After taking plenty of pictures, my friends and I headed to the bed and breakfast where the event was being held. There was a photo booth, southern style cooking, pool, and great music and dancing. Here are some pictures from the night.
My roommates and me.

We think we're hardcore.

Eating dinner at the venue.
Overall, it was a lovely night with some of my best friends.

Love always,
Em

1 comment:

  1. Hi Em
    It is Di and I love, love, love your blog. Very creative. If you would like some "ins" to do Summer work in NYC I have a few connections. LA is soo hard to get around ...no tube there....traffic horrid...but if you have connections in LA where are they? I can tell you where to stay. But you must have a car.,.. Love you and let me know. Di

    ReplyDelete